Macys Shoplifting Cases
Macys is one of the largest department stores in the United States. Founded in 1858, Macys now takes in over $20 billion annually. The value of its herald square location alone is approximately $3 billion. Macys is located in Manhattan at 151 West 34th Street making jurisdiction over any shoplifting cases fall within New York County. We often defend shoplifting cases from Macys at the Midtown Community Court which hears select criminal and some civil cases from the Midtown area.
Shoplifting cases at Macys can be the result of direct observation by store security, through video surveillance or a security sensor. Often, arrests happen within Macys and before the suspected shoplifter has left. This raises a natural question as to whether the suspect was really going to leave without paying.
Macys security often looks for the following behaviors
- Placing unpaid merchandise in a personal bag
- Placing unpaid merchandise in a shopping bag brought in from outside
- Placing unpaid merchandise in a shopping bag obtained inside
- Entering a fitting room with fewer items and without leaving them in the fitting room
- Tag switching where an expensive price tag is swapped with a less expensive tag
- Changing floors with unpaid merchandise
After Macys security detains and questions a suspected shoplifter, the NYPD is called and formally taken into custody. Later, the suspected shoplifter can be charged with petit larceny and possession of stolen property at the arraignment in court. The arraignment is the beginning of the criminal case and depending on how it is handled, you may make or break your entire case.
What if I did it?
- Don't give up. Having a bad day shouldn't cost you your future. Contact us to discuss the best options for your unique situation
- We are prepared to fight for a dismissal
- We can offer the prosecutor a better idea of who you really are. Don't let this case be the only thing the prosecutor and judge know about you
- Don't talk. Trying to explain things in court could backfire because anything you say can be used against you. We can do the talking for you and design a defense that targets the outcome you need.
- If you suffer from depression, anxiety, were taking medication at the time or were distracted, please tell us about this
- Don't give up. We are prepared to fight for a dismissal and go to trial if necessary.
- Contact us and bring any helpful documentation to the consultation
Shoplifting convictions can lead to permanent and life altering consequences. Before you set foot in a courtroom, you could lose your job, get fined, and suffer from embarrassment, stress, and anxiety. Depending on the outcome of your case, you may face up to a year in jail, a permanent criminal record, employment, and immigration and international travel consequences. Contact us today to discuss the options available to you. The sooner you call, the sooner we can shed light on your situation and what it would take to achieve the best outcome.
Some of our Macys Shoplifting Results
- Client observed leaving fitting room with fewer items than taken in. Search revealed over $300 of stolen merchandise in a bag. Case dismissed, no criminal record, arrest photo and fingerprints destroyed
- Client observed taking several dresses. The value exceeded $3,000 and client was charged with a felony and faced up to 4 years in prison. Case dismissed, no criminal record, arrest photo and fingerprints destroyed. Client completed some counseling.
- Client observed putting several clothing items into a Macys shopping bag. Search revealed over $500 of stolen merchandise. Case dismissed, no criminal record, arrest photo and fingerprints destroyed. Client was also facing immigration consequences but we were able to avoid these consequences and client's status was not affected.
- Client observed changing floors and putting unpaid merchandise in a bag. Search revealed over $800 of stolen merchandise. Case dismissed, no criminal record, arrest photo and fingerprints destroyed.
- Client observed switching tags to reduce the price of a dress. Search revealed a pair of scissors. Criminal charges dropped, arrest photo and fingerprints sealed. Small fine.
- Client observed taking several perfume testers and placing them in client's bag. The value was about $200. They were found during a search of client. Case dismissed, no criminal record, arrest photo and fingerprints destroyed